1/350 USS Essex CV-9 : Build Log part #03 || First colors
The last few weeks I have been busy with the USS Essex Aircraft Carrier from Trumpeter.
I want to get it finished in the coming months because this build has taken enough time.
I have done the following since the last update:
- Airbrushed the main island and done some minor weathering.
- Added arresting gear to the flight deck
- Added flotation baskets to the railings of the flight deck
- Added some catwalks underneath the front and rear of the flight deck
- Added the route to the rescue boat.
- Airbrushed the vertical surfaces of the hull
- Airbrushed the wooden part of the flight deck
Here you can see some arresting gear and flotation baskets I added:
The added catwalk between the two gun positions, right under the flight deck:
Some more flotation baskets and arresting gear
A lot of baskets next to the island location
The new catwalks right under the flight deck:
I added some real chains to the anchors, they will be visible, you’ ll see:
Ready for painting!
The next few pictures show the airbrushed flight deck and vertical surfaces of the hull:
The next three shots show the island, what do you think of it?
A lot to do left, much work is needed for creating all the small 20 mm guns, still have to make most of them.
All the steel decks need to be painted by hand, like on the island. When painting is done I can start adding the detail items, such as the guns, masts etc.
Weathering is the final step.
I wonder how you think about it so far, let me know!